This blog should be called "The Adventures of a Fabric Junkie!". I am passionate about fabric, threads, colours and textures. I can record my crazy quilting, sane quilting, embroidery and everything else that I consider important in my life.

Photo shows my block for the Hurricane Katrina fund-raising quilt "All That Jazz".

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Cream on cream crazy quilt blocks.

I have been working on culling my stash in the nicest possible way. I had a large box of white, ivory, cream and antique cream coloured fabrics and another large box of antique lace pieces which have been gleaned from old garments, antique shops, eBay purchases and some that have been given to me. It seemed a shame to have them all squashed up together in a box so I am going to make a quilt for our queen size bed. My husband measured out the blocks and decided that I need to have twelve rows of eight blocks - that's ninety-six?? so far, I've completed ten! I should mention that any fabric pieces which appear to be a greyish colour or have what appear to be black threads running through them are in fact cream and threads are metallic gold. I will also do a tiny bit of gold metallic embroidery to liven up some of the blocks. At the moment, I'm not doing any embellishment or embroidery but I'm collecting cream coloured threads including two wooden reels of 1920s Pearsall's rayon embroidery thread. Here are the first four blocks using my favourite pieces of antique lace.
Cream quilt block 001
Cream quilt block 002

Cream quilt block 003
Cream quilt block

3 comments:

Mary-Frances said...

How lovely. I think tone on tone is so wonderful. Your work is spectacular.

Gina E. said...

I have seen a quilt like this before, Vivienne - a few years ago now, and I can't even remember who it was or where, but I will never forget the amount of work that had gone into making it, and the family heritage that had been brought together to make it. I would love someone to use my doilies (well,not all 700 of them!) to make me a quilt for our bed, but it will never happen!!

Melissa Nygren said...

I would love to use a photograph of yours for a project! Could you email me at mewissa_lani@hotmail.com to discuss this?