This blog should be called "The Adventures of a Fabric Junkie!". I am passionate about fabric, threads, colours and textures. I can record my crazy quilting, sane quilting, embroidery and everything else that I consider important in my life.

Photo shows my block for the Hurricane Katrina fund-raising quilt "All That Jazz".

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Tartan ATC size purse or jewellery pouch

I have just finished my third UFO for 2006. I'm doing well, only 37 more to go!! This one is a little ATC size tartan purse or pouch for a Scottish friend, Lorraine. I sewed lots of little scraps of different tartan fabrics to a foundation then embellished them with stitching on the seams, embroidered thistles, White heather and bluebells, using tiny bluebell shaped beads. Because the tartan itself was so busy I only added three charms - all Scottish, then added a black suede backing piece and lined it in tartan taffeta. I bound it in tartan bias-binding and added gold herringbone stitching and a black beaded fringe.

Tartan purse close-up

Tartan purse close-up

5 comments:

joy said...

Hi Viv, Hope you are feeling better today.
I just love this scottish pouch your friend will surely be delighted. It is just exquisite.
Joy

Chloe said...

Beautiful! Would never have thought of using tartans like this, but it really does work well. :)

beche-la-mer said...

Och aye, I see some Royal Stuart tartan in there... how lovely and creative, Viv!

Sarah said...

How cool is that! And I love the bagpipe charm...!

Gina E. said...

Oh I do love this, Vivienne! I have some Scottish blood in me somewhere far back I know, and every now and then it calls to me!