This blog should be called "The Adventures of a Fabric Junkie!". I am passionate about fabric, threads, colours and textures. I can record my crazy quilting, sane quilting, embroidery and everything else that I consider important in my life.
Photo shows my block for the Hurricane Katrina fund-raising quilt "All That Jazz".
Here is a practice piece I did on some scrap material first. I wanted the fan to be controlled rather than just a pile of clipped thread pieces trapped between the two layers of solvy. I sewed the outline shape then filled it in with a rough grid of straight sewing lines. After a few experimental machine embroidery stitches, I finished up deciding on the top embroidery stitch which is a double zig-zag stitch, then machine stitched back and forth across the fan following the curves and making sure that each row went over the edge of the previous row. Once the fan shape was covered, I sewed an edging around all sides of the fan with the same stitch.