I have joined the Fabulous First Timers 18 round robin, (FFT18 RR) and for the last month I have been sewing on Bec's bibs. Bec made two bib shaped blocks, one cream and the other BLINDINGLY bright. They will go on the front of singlet tops when she gets them back.
I chose the bright one to work on but had trouble getting going because of the large floral patch of bright stylised flowers. First of all I chose to sew in one strand of DMC cotton with 2 strands of Kreinik Blending Filament but it was too heavy. I unpicked the flower and did it again but by half way through I could see that one strand of Rajmahal Art Silk with two strands of the Kreinik was still too heavy. Finally, I stitched the whole thing in just the two strands of Kreinik Blending Filament and it was fine.
Bec had used a huge piece of floral fabric which swallowed up the embroidered flower so I took the liberty of adding another piece of fabric in the same orange colour as another flower which had also become lost. The two together blended well so then I put some metallic gold lace along the two seams and added little irridesent blue flower beads.
I didn't take Bec's fabric from under the orange piece because I thought that if she had particular ideas for the large floral piece then she could unpick the orange piece and get back to what she wanted. I remembered the Golden Rule of Round Robins - never do anything to someone else's block which can't be undone by the owner later. Fortunately Bec loved the orange bit so I was lucky and it will stay now. Here are the photos of the block - naked and dressed, LOL.
The two photos at the top are of the naked and dressed block and below is a close-up of the embroidery (long and short stitch and blanket stitch) with the Kreinik thread plus Kreinik very fine braid for the outlines.