This blog should be called "The Adventures of a Fabric Junkie!". I am passionate about fabric, threads, colours and textures. I can record my crazy quilting, sane quilting, embroidery and everything else that I consider important in my life.

Photo shows my block for the Hurricane Katrina fund-raising quilt "All That Jazz".

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Visual Journal

I have been adding photos to my visual journal. I started it on January 1 in a hard covered art-paper book from the local art shop. I'm using it to record new ideas, to stick pictures and photos of inspirational content, whether it be colour, stitchery or ribbon embroidery and to sketch my own stitch ideas for crazy quilting. So far, I've included photos of each of the 5 UFOs I've finished so far this year, patterns for small tatting motifs both scanned and downloaded, photos of my blank blocks which have been sent interstate in a DYB swap (one per page so I've got room to put a photo of each block once it comes back completed), instructions and templates for healing heart blocks, actual experimental samples of embroidery, tatting, smocking, dyeing lace motifs and velvet embossing. I love my visual diary because it keeps me thinking creatively (you have to be creative to find something new EVERY day) and on top of things. I bought a book that was an inch thick with 100 pages and I'm already 1/3rd the way through it after only six weeks. In a year I'll have filled approximately 400 pages with pictures, sketches, photos, actual samples of work and notes on new ideas if I keep going at this rate.......and in ten years........???

3 comments:

Linda said...

I've been a naughty girl and put you on my side-bar. Are you going to tell the world soon that you have a blog????

Viv and Eddie said...

Yes, once I've worked out how to add the photos to the blog pages! I've managed to add "Me, myself and I" to the profile page but that's it so far....

arlee said...

Those visual journals are so addictive---i have mine dating back to 1978! If i didn't keep one, i wouldn't feel complete! Keep it up--fun to see how you evolve as an artist (i'll *never* show the old embarrassing ones myself!)
:>