This blog should be called "The Adventures of a Fabric Junkie!". I am passionate about fabric, threads, colours and textures. I can record my crazy quilting, sane quilting, embroidery and everything else that I consider important in my life.

Photo shows my block for the Hurricane Katrina fund-raising quilt "All That Jazz".

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Block 2 in Natural Colours


These are the true colours for block two, the floral block. The buttons on the antique collar are about as old as the collar, all mother-of-pearl and all unpicked from ancient shirts. The two crocheted flowers have three layers of petals plus two padded "buds" which are covered in rows of single crochet. The broderie anglaise piece at the bottom right is also very old as is the fawn lace in the centre of the block. This lace fascinates me as it is made in rows of different patterns so that it looks as if someone has painstakingly joined single rows of lace to make a fabric.......this was given to me by a neighbour of my parents - Mrs Tobin. She died about 28 years ago now but I will always remember her when I see this piece of machine made lace. The piece of lace fabric at the top left hand corner of the block with the matching lace edging is from my wedding dress from when I married DH........this quilt is turning into a memory quilt without me meaning to do it.

4 comments:

crazyQstitcher said...

Glorious work and fabrics.
Everything is so mouthwateringly beautiful.
As I scrolled down I thought "OmiGod, onions' but decided they were not quite. LOL

Viv and Eddie said...

Oh, you and your onions........BULBS, silly!!!!! You'll never live that one down.

Faye said...

Another wonderful block Viv...

Rose Anne B said...

Ohhhh that is so wonderful that the laces etc are creating a memory quilt for you to cherish!!!