This blog should be called "The Adventures of a Fabric Junkie!". I am passionate about fabric, threads, colours and textures. I can record my crazy quilting, sane quilting, embroidery and everything else that I consider important in my life.

Photo shows my block for the Hurricane Katrina fund-raising quilt "All That Jazz".

Saturday, December 18, 2010

First Finished block for Cream on Cream Crazy Quilt




This is the first block for the cream on cream crazy quilt which I am making to use up my collection of antique laces, threads, buttons and beads. It seemed a shame to keep all these wonderful pieces from the past hidden away in boxes, bags and plastic containers when they could be used to create a lovely quilt with no rhyme nor reason to the design except to use up these old bits and bobs. Altogether I will need 96 blocks so I will join them in pairs, then in fours and then eights, embroidering the joining seams as I go. Seeing as a lot of the embroidery will be done on the train going to and coming home from work (1/2 hour journey each way) plus in my half hour lunch break, the smaller the piece of background fabric, the better. I will blog two versions of the photo, one in the natural cream and ivory colours and one with the photo "auto-corrected" which throws shadows on the work and makes it easier to see properly.

7 comments:

Faye said...

Viv, this block is gorgeous, such lovely antique laces and SRE... I just love those two little "Seahorse" motifs. Just beautiful!!! What a wonderful surprise to find them after all this time...
cheers - Faye

Ozjane said...

Oh how fabulous..I always have wanted to do one of those...have a lot of the goodies.

Maureen said...

Viv, its just beasutiful. Love the thought of you sitting on the train embroidering like mad.

Viv and Eddie said...

I think life is too short to spend an hour of each day staring blankly at 100 other people who stare blankly back at you......there is a knitter and a few book readers but most people are totally blank. I often get people ask me what I'm making and then they want to talk about what they do or their mother did so it keeps an interest in embroidery alive, if nothing else.

crazyQstitcher said...

Be-you-tif-ul. Where did you get the seahorses? I've not come across lace ones. I've missed seeing your work.

I did start a cream on cream for a spread but the thought of me finding DH's boots on one slowed me down.

Viv and Eddie said...

As I told Faye earlier, they were part of "yardage" lace - can you imagine metres of sea-horses? I only bought two or three because they were soooooo expensive. I've promised Faye and anyone else who is interested that I will keep a look out for more of them but the original shop has long gone.

Rose Anne B said...

What a wonderful idea and such a great one too. Then you can visit your guest room whenever you please for some special memories or just for ideas of what to do on the current project you are working on. AWESOME